Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson - A Tribute

Since this wasn't getting any coverage, I thought I would create a blog tribute or...blibute.

A man whom millions worshiped died last Thursday. Unequivocally, he was the greatest performer ever captured on video.

As far back as I can remember, channel surfing would stop when I came across a live Michael Jackson performance - and I would not change the channel until it was over. It was always riveting television. When I discovered videos on the web in 2000, his was some of the first material I consumed. Still, I somewhat regularly stop by YouTube to be reminded of his immense talent. Crowds worldwide would swarm to watch him perform. China, South Africa, Germany, Japan, Romania, Brazil, the USA, and those in between all adored him. He transcended language and culture.

Now seems like a good time to be reminded again of his brilliance. It is extremely difficult to narrow it down to just 3 videos, but here are some I found especially fantastic:

1. Billie Jean - See the debut of the Moonwalk around the 3:40 mark. Notice, no special effects or special lighting, just a really talented man and a handheld microphone. He was about 24.

2. Man in the mirror - Presumably there are not a lot of English speakers in Romania but notice how the entire crowd sings along. Also, you'll understand what I meant by "worshiped".

3. Beat It - I'm not an Music Video Guy, but I imagine this is a top 5 all-timer.

It is truly sad to know that he will create no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment